Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://cuir.car.chula.ac.th/handle/123456789/42703
Title: BACTERIAL DIVERSITY IN ANDAMAN SEA, THAILAND BY CULTURE-DEPENDENT AND CULTURE-INDEPENDENT METHODS
Other Titles: ความหลากหลายของแบคทีเรียในทะเลอันดามันประเทศไทยโดยวิธีเพาะเลี้ยงและไม่เพาะเลี้ยง
Authors: Khunnalack Khitmoh
Advisors: Naraporn Somboonna
Other author: Chulalongkorn University. Faculty of Science
Advisor's Email: naraporn.s@chula.ac.th
Subjects: Bacteria -- Analysis
Bacterial diversity
แบคทีเรีย -- การวิเคราะห์
ความหลากหลายของแบคทีเรีย
Issue Date: 2013
Publisher: Chulalongkorn University
Abstract: Thailand is surrounded by Andaman Sea and Gulf of Thailand. As Thailand is located around an equator with hot and rainy climate, Thai marine comprise abundant microbial biodiversity. Yet, conventional or standard method cultural procedures could reveal < 1% of all microbiota due to limited capacity of the microorganismal growth under laboratory condition. Presently, the other > 99% of the microbiota could be revealed by culture-independent approach known metagenomics. This research utilized culture-dependent and culture-independent methods (metagenomics combined with pyrotagged 16S rDNA sequencing) to attain a complete picture of the true prokaryotic diversity of this environment, and better understand the ecosystem of bacteria and archaea in the southeast Andaman Sea off the west coast of Thailand. The seawater samples of two different distances from the Andaman coast: 08º56.004'N 98º05.857'E (PT) at 30-meter depth and 08º51.096'N 97º31.207'E (TC) on the surface and at 30, 100, 150-meter depth were investigated. The PT and TC sites had the seafloor depths of approximately 35 meters and 155 meters, respectively. The latter represents the farther seashore distance sample. The culture-dependent and culture-independent data demonstrated that the culture-dependent method provided far fewer number of isolates than by the culture-independent method, which could detect species that were missed by plating and also highlighted several uncultured bacteria. Subsequently, this thesis helped better understand the aquatic bacterial and archaeal population structures, and their metabolic potentials at PT and TC.
Other Abstract: พื้นที่ส่วนใหญ่ของโลกประกอบด้วยบริเวณที่เป็นทะเลและมหาสมุทรเชื่อมต่อกันประมาณ 3 ใน 4 (71%) ของพื้นผิวโลก ประเทศไทยมีอาณาเขตติดกับทะเล 2 ส่วน คือ ทะเลฝั่งอ่าวไทย และฝั่งทะเลอันดามัน เนื่องจากตั้งอยู่บริเวณแนวเส้นศูนย์สูตรทำให้ประเทศไทยมีภูมิอากาศร้อนชื้นจึงส่งผลให้ทะเลไทยมีความอุดมสมบูรณ์ทางชีวภาพของจุลินทรีย์มากมาย แต่วิธีการเพาะเลี้ยงเชื้อแบบดั้งเดิมนั้นสามารถค้นพบจุลินทรีย์ได้เพียง 1% ของจุลินทรีย์ทั้งหมด เนื่องจากข้อจำกัดการเจริญเติบโตของจุลินทรีย์ภายใต้สภาวะในห้องปฏิบัติการ ดังนั้นจุลินทรีย์อีกกว่า 99% อาจถูกค้นพบได้โดยวิธีเมตาจีโนมิคส์ (metagenomics) ซึ่งไม่ต้องอาศัยวิธีการเพาะเลี้ยงเชื้อ งานวิจัยนี้ได้นำวิธีเมตาจีโนมิคส์ มาใช้ร่วมกับการไพโรซีเควนยีนไรโบโซมอลอาร์เอ็นเอชนิด 16S เพื่อให้ได้ความหลากหลายของจุลินทรีย์ที่แท้จริงและเข้าใจระบบนิเวศของจุลินทรีย์ในทะเลอันดามัน ประเทศไทย ในงานวิจัยนี้ได้ศึกษาน้ำทะเลในระยะห่างจากชายฝั่งที่แตกต่างกันคือที่ 08º56.004'N 98º05.857'E (PT) ระดับความลึก 30 เมตร และ 08º51.096'N 97º31.207'E (TC) ที่ผิวน้ำและระดับความลึก 30, 100 และ 150 เมตร ตำแหน่ง PT และ TC มีระดับความลึกประมาณ 35 เมตรและ 155 เมตรตามลำดับ ผลที่ได้จากวิธีไม่เพาะเลี้ยงพบว่าได้จํานวนสายพันธุ์มากมายที่ไม่พบด้วยวิธีเพาะเลี้ยง วิทยานิพนธ์ฉบับนี้ช่วยให้เข้าใจโครงสร้างประชากรแบคทีเรียและอาร์เคียและศักยภาพหน้าที่ในระบบนิเวศของจุลินทรีย์เหล่านี้ในทะเลที่ตำแหน่ง PT และ TC
Description: Thesis (M.Sc.)--Chulalongkorn University, 2013
Degree Name: Master of Science
Degree Level: Master's Degree
Degree Discipline: Industrial Microbiology
URI: http://cuir.car.chula.ac.th/handle/123456789/42703
Type: Thesis
Appears in Collections:Sci - Theses

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
5571931823.pdf5.7 MBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.