Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://cuir.car.chula.ac.th/handle/123456789/44374
Title: APPLICATION OF PROTEOGLYCAN FROM FISH CARTILAGE FOR THE ACCELERATION OF BURN WOUND HEALING
Other Titles: การประยุกต์ใช้สารโปรติโอไกลแคนจากกระดูกอ่อนของปลาเพื่อเร่งการหายของบาดแผลไหม้
Authors: Sitthiphon Bunman
Advisors: Pasarapa Towiwat
Pornanong Aramwit
Noppadol Larbcharoensub
Other author: Chulalongkorn University. Graduate School
Advisor's Email: Pasarapa.C@Chula.ac.th,pasarapa.t@pharm.chula.ac.th,pasarapa@gmail.com
Pornanong.A@Chula.ac.th,aramwit@gmail.com
noppadol_l@hotmail.com
Subjects: Proteoglycans
Wounds and injuries
Burns and scalds -- Treatment
บาดแผลและบาดเจ็บ
แผลไหม้ -- การรักษา
โปรตีโอไกลแคน
Issue Date: 2014
Publisher: Chulalongkorn University
Abstract: Burn wounds are common and the cost of treatment is normally intensive. There are over 250,000 burn patients yearly worldwide and may occur in any age groups in both genders. 1% silver sulfadiazine (SSD) is used as a standard treatment for burn wounds. The benefits of this medication is due to its broad-spectrum antimicrobial activities, which also has activity on mold, yeast, and bacteria, both gram positive and negative as well as drug-resistant bacteria; it can also be applied easily and inexpensive. However, the disadvantage of SSD is a delay in the wound-healing processes since SSD can inhibit DNA synthesis. According to the previous studies, fish bone cartilage composes of a variety of proteoglycans (PGs), which is an epidermal growth factor-like structure. The growth factor is essential for wound healing processes. Thus, using PG combined with 1% SSD for the treatment of burn wounds can accelerate wound healing cascade effectively. The objective of this study is to investigate the activity of PG extracted from fish cartilage alone or in combination with 1% SSD for facilitation of second-degree burn wound healing in an in vivo model. The percentage of wound healing was evaluated on day 3, 7, 14, 21 and 28 and histological analysis of animal tissues (number of multinucleated giant cells, macrophages, mast cells and neovascularization) on day 7, 14 and 21 after second degree burn inducing. Furthermore, liver function tests (aspartate aminotransferase, alanine transaminase and alkaline phosphatase levels) and kidney function tests (blood urea nitrogen and serum creatinine) were evaluated for toxicity of the compound. The results showed that, the percentage of wound healing and re-epithelialization of treated groups (1% SSD, 1% PG, 2% PG, 1% SSD combined with 1% PG and 1% SSD combined with 2% PG) were significant higher compared to the control group (cream base-treated wounds). Moreover, the percentage of wound healing in the group received 1% SSD together with 2% PG was significant higher compared to the group received 1% SSD and 1% PG. The results of histological analysis showed that number of multinucleated giant cells and macrophages on day 7, 14 and 21 and mast cells on day 7 and 14 of treated groups (1% SSD, 1% PG, 2% PG, 1% SSD combined with 1% PG and 1% SSD combined with 2% PG) showed no significant difference compared to control group. Number of multinucleated giant cells, macrophage and mast cells reached the peak level on day 7 and then continuously decreasing on day 14 and 21, respectively. Evaluation of the number of neovascularization on day 7 and 14 showed that the group treated with 1% SSD combined with 2% PG had significant higher neovascularization compared to the control group and the group received 1% SSD. The highest number of neovascularization was found on day 14 and decreased on day 21, respectively. For safety evaluation, the level of aspartate aminotransferase, alanine transaminase and alkaline phosphatase showed no significant difference compared to control group. Kidney function test showed that the level of blood urea nitrogen and serum creatinine also showed no significant difference compared to control group. The results from this study indicated that PG alone or in combination with 1% SSD can facilitate the wound healing by activation of neovascularization process. For safety evaluation, no abnormalities of liver and kidney function were found after exposure to the tested substance.
Other Abstract: แผลไหม้เป็นแผลที่พบได้บ่อยและมีค่าใช้จ่ายทางการแพทย์สูง ในแต่ละปีมีผู้ป่วยแผลไหม้สูงถึง 250,000 คน พบได้ทุกเพศทุกวัย ซึ่งในปัจจุบันยาทามาตรฐานที่นิยมใช้ในการรักษาแผลไฟไหม้คือ ครีมซิลเวอร์ซัลฟาไดอะซีนในความเข้มข้นร้อยละ 1 ซึ่งครีมนี้มีข้อดีในการต่อต้านเชื้อจุลชีพได้กว้าง สามารถควบคุมเชื้อรายีสต์แบคทีเรียแกรมบวกและแกรมลบรวมถึงแบคทีเรียดื้อยา ใช้ง่ายและราคาไม่แพง แต่มีข้อด้อยคือทำให้แผลหายช้าอันเนื่องมาจากซิลเวอร์จะไปยับยั้งกระบวนการสร้าง DNA มีการศึกษาพบว่า ภายในกระดูกอ่อนของปลาประกอบด้วยสารโปรติโอไกลแคนซึ่งมีโครงสร้างโมเลกุลคล้ายกับ epidermal growth factor ซึ่งมีส่วนสำคัญต่อกระบวนการเร่งหายของบาดแผล ดังนั้นหากนำเอาโปรติโอไกลแคนมาใช้ร่วมกับครีมซิลเวอร์ซัลฟาไดอะซีนร้อยละ 1 ในการรักษาแผลไฟไหม้น่าจะสามารถเร่งกระบวนการหายของแผลได้อย่างมีประสิทธิภาพ การศึกษานี้จึงมีวัตถุประสงค์เพื่อศึกษาฤทธิ์ของโปรติโอไกลแคนที่สกัดได้จากกระดูกอ่อนของปลาในการเร่งการหายของแผลไฟไหม้เมื่อใช้เป็นยาเดี่ยวหรือเมื่อใช้ร่วมกับครีมซิลเวอร์ซัลฟาไดอะซีนในความเข้มข้นร้อยละ 1 โดยทำการศึกษาในหนูทดลองที่ได้รับการทำให้เกิดแผลไหม้ในระดับสอง แล้ววัดร้อยละการหายของบาดแผลในวันที่ 3, 7, 14, 21, 28 รวมถึงศึกษาจุลกายวิภาคศาสตร์ของเนื้อเยื่อผิวหนังในวันที่ 7, 14 และ 21 หลังจากการเหนี่ยวนำให้เกิดแผลไฟไหม้ โดยตรวจวิเคราะห์จำนวนของ multinucleated giant cells, macrophages cells, mast cells และหลอดเลือดที่สร้างใหม่จากเนื้อเยื่อของสัตว์ทดลองรวมถึงตรวจเอนไซม์ที่เกี่ยวข้องกับการทำงานของตับได้แก่ aspartate aminotransferase, alanine transaminase, alkaline phosphatase และตรวจวัดการทำงานของไตจาก blood urea nitrogen และ creatinine จากซีรัมเพื่อศึกษาความเป็นพิษของสารที่ใช้ทดสอบด้วย ผลการศึกษาร้อยละการหายของแผลและร้อยละของ re-epithelialization พบว่า หนูกลุ่มที่ได้รับครีมซิลเวอร์ซัลฟาไดอะซีนร้อยละ 1, ครีมโปรติโอไกลแคนร้อยละ 1 หรือ 2, ครีมซิลเวอร์ซัลฟาไดอะซีนร้อยละ 1 ร่วมกับโปรติโอไกลแคนร้อยละ 1 และครีมซิลเวอร์ซัลฟาไดอะซีนร้อยละ 1 ร่วมกับโปรติโอไกลแคนร้อยละ 2 มีการหายของแผลสูงกว่าอย่างมีนัยสำคัญทางสถิติเปรียบเทียบกับ cream base นอกจากนี้ยังพบว่า หนูกลุ่มที่ได้รับครีมซิลเวอร์ซัลฟาไดอะซีนร้อยละ 1 ร่วมกับโปรติโอไกลแคนร้อยละ 2 จะมีร้อยละการหายของแผลสูงกว่าอย่างมีนัยสำคัญเมื่อเปรียบเทียบกับหนูกลุ่มที่ได้รับครีมซิลเวอร์ซัลฟาไดอะซีนร้อยละ 1 และครีมโปรติโอไกลแคนร้อยละ 1 ผลจากการศึกษาจุลกายวิภาคศาสตร์ของเนื้อเยื่อผิวหนังพบว่า จำนวนของ multinucleated giant cells และ macrophages ในวันที่ 7, 14, 21 และจำนวนของ mast cells ในวันที่ 7 และ 14 ของหนูที่ได้รับครีมในกลุ่มต่าง ๆ ไม่แตกต่างกันอย่างมีนัยสำคัญ เมื่อเปรียบเทียบกับกลุ่มควบคุม นอกจากนี้ยังพบว่าจำนวนของ multinucleated giant cells, macrophages และ mast cells สูงสุดในวันที่ 7 และลดลงในวันที่ 14 และ 21 ตามลำดับ การศึกษาจำนวนของหลอดเลือดที่สร้างใหม่พบว่าวันที่ 7 และ 14 พบว่า หนูกลุ่มที่ได้รับครีมซิลเวอร์ซัลฟาไดอะซีนร้อยละ 1 ร่วมกับ โปรติโอไกลแคนร้อยละ 2 มีจำนวนของหลอดเลือดที่สร้างใหม่สูงกว่าอย่างมีนัยสำคัญเมื่อเปรียบเทียบกับหนูกลุ่มที่ได้รับ cream base และครีมซิลเวอร์ซัลฟาไดอะซีนร้อยละ 1 จำนวนของหลอดเลือดที่สร้างใหม่สูงที่สุดในวันที่ 14 และจะลดลงในวันที่ 21 ตามลำดับ ในด้านความปลอดภัยจากการตรวจเอนไซม์วัดการทำงานของตับพบว่า ระดับเอนไซม์ aspartate aminotransferase, alanine transaminase และ alkaline phosphatase ไม่แตกต่างกันอย่างมีนัยสำคัญ เมื่อเปรียบเทียบกับหนูกลุ่มควบคุมส่วนตรวจวัดการทำงานของไตพบว่าระดับของ blood urea nitrogen และ creatinine ไม่แตกต่างกันอย่างมีนัยสำคัญเมื่อเปรียบเทียบกับหนูกลุ่มควบคุม การศึกษานี้แสดงให้เห็นว่าโปรติโอไกลแคนเมื่อใช้เป็นยาเดี่ยวหรือใช้ร่วมกับครีมซิลเวอร์ซัลฟาไดอะซีนร้อยละ 1สามารถเร่งกระบวนการหายของแผลได้เนื่องจากโปรติโอไกลแคนจะไปเร่งกระบวนการสร้างเส้นเลือดใหม่ทำให้แผลหายเร็วขึ้นและในด้านความปลอดภัยไม่พบความผิดปกติของการทำงานของตับและไตหลังได้รับสารทดสอบ
Description: Thesis (M.Sc.)--Chulalongkorn University, 2014
Degree Name: Master of Science
Degree Level: Master's Degree
Degree Discipline: Pharmacology
URI: http://cuir.car.chula.ac.th/handle/123456789/44374
Type: Thesis
Appears in Collections:Grad - Theses

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
5587242820.pdf7.31 MBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.